CBCT scanner - 3d xray for planning dental implants.
(by: Frank Andriessen)
What is a CBCT scanner?
A relative new development in dentistry is the introduction of CBCT scanners. Sometimes a regular x-ray or opt gives not enough information about important structures which are situated in the jaw. Then it could be wise to make a 3 dimensional xray of the jaw. In our specialised dental center there is a 3d-xray device available. The device is also known as a CBCT scanner (Cone Beam Computer Tomografie).
What can wedo with a CBCT-scanner?
A cbct-scan gives a complete overview of the jaw. It gives 3d images with a very high accuracy. The images can be important to find out:
- the position of the nerves;
- the position of teeth and molars in the jaw;
- the position and shape of the sinus;
- the amount of available bone for placing implants;
- the presence of an inflamation;
- the precense of unknown complaints: for example root fractures in teeth;
- to find out the shap of rootcanals in teeth.
After a cbctscan is made the implantologist can exactly plan if there is enough bone for implants. These scans are very accurate. The advantage is that we can avoid any suprises when we place an implant.
Make an appointment
Intake always within two weeks!